Jane had two children to raise. She had to pay for the housing and clothes. She had a lot of bills. She worked in a every day and got $600 a week. Even when she was , she went to work.
Jane worked hard and did a great job. She depended on tips (小费) to help her get enough money to pay the bills.
One night, after Jane had served dinner to a family, left a big tip on the table. It was
. Jane was taking care of another family at their table. When she turned back, she found the money had been .
Jane saw a woman at another table staring at her when she the restaurant. Jane went to ask her what food she wanted. She just a sandwich. She did not leave a tip after eating and Jane heard that she paid with a $20 bill. Jane was sure the woman had stolen her , but she couldn’t prove (证明) it.
The next night, the woman came into the restaurant. She gave Jane $50. She said, “I was so sorry I took your money last . I had a bad day. Someone stole my wallet. So I was angry. So I took your money. that was not right. People should good things. Not bad things. So I want you to take the money.”
“I’ll take the $20 but you keep the . I know you need it,” said Jane.
“You should have called the police,” the manager said to Jane.
Jane said, “No. We should forgive (原谅) when someone says and wants to make it right. We should try to help each other.”
1. A. buy B. design C. make D. wash
2. A. bookstore B. hospital C. restaurant D. school
3. A. angry B. afraid C. happy D. tired
4. A. he B. she C. we D. they
5. A. $20 B. $30 C. $40 D. $50
6. A. handed in B. taken away C. given back D. thrown out
7. A. looked at B. looked around C. looked after D. looked for
8. A. ordered B. made C. sold D. served
9. A. book B. money C. dinner D. wallet
10. A. old B. beautiful C. same D. strange
11. A. night B. week C. month D. year
12.A. And B. But C. So D. Or
13.A. accept B. borrow C. cook D. share
14.A. money B. promises C. rest D. words
15.A. hello B. thanks C. goodbye D. Sorry